• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple ordered to pay $368 Million

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
It looks like this "VirnetX" has had multiple lawsuits with large software and hardware companies over the past few years. Kinda makes you wonder, would all of those separate companies steal at least 5 different patents from this one place in particular?

Sounds kinda fishy to me...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
It looks like this "VirnetX" has had multiple lawsuits with large software and hardware companies over the past few years. Kinda makes you wonder, would all of those separate companies steal at least 5 different patents from this one place in particular?

Sounds kinda fishy to me...

Why is it fishy for a company to have other lawsuits with other companies? What would that make Apple? Dead fish you find on a shore?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Why is it fishy for a company to have other lawsuits with other companies? What would that make Apple? Dead fish you find on a shore?

"In yet another VirnetX filing in 2010, the company brought similar allegations against Apple, Cisco Systems, Astra Technologies, and NEC Corporation, claiming infringement of at least five patents."

Even Microsoft has lost trials with this corporation.

What exactly makes this VirnetX so special and revolutionary with their patents, at all of these well established companies would resort to stealing or "violating" their patented rights? I can understand apple having dozens of pending patent trials with other companies, seeing as they probably have 1000's of patents filed each year, but this VirnetX...yeah...doubtful.

Either way, Apple will just appeal it and have it overturned, or pay up and it'll be done with. 368Million is nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
"Small" companies have their patents infringed all the time, especially when a patent relates to something that has good demand. A lot of patent infringement occurs over similarities in ideas, or from even simple things such as the naming of a patent. There's nothing about from any of the related news that seems fishy to me about VirnetX. They have a legitimate case of infringement from multiple parties, regardless of number of infringed patents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
They may also have a function of the company being patent holding. They might buy up a lot of smaller patents in the hopes that some big company will infringe and sue to make their general money.

Reaction score
They have been sue crazy lately, so it is nice to see them pay out other people who deserve it. I read an article not to long ago that they tried to sue an old media company or something in Mexico for using the name IFone, which was established long before the iphone was released. Anyway they lost the case and of course IFone counter sued which is in trial now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.