Can't Add Printer on brand new Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hello,

I just got a brand new Macbook Pro a few days ago (10.8.2) and can't add my printer. I didn't have this issue with my old Macbook Pro (4,1) and can't seem to figure it out.

The printer is a Canon MP280.

I wen't to Canon's website and downloaded the drivers for Mountain Lion (and also tried previous versions after this failed over ten times). I saved the driver and loaded the .pkg file.

Following this I wen't to "Print & Scan" and clicked + but no printer showed up. This problem repeated after retrying multiple times. The driver software is showing up in MacbookPro<Libraries<Printers under the folder "Canon", but for some reason it is not transferring to the add printer list.

Can someone please help? I have been trying this since last night, and have spent hours trying to search forums for people having the same problems.

Here is the link I am using:

Drivers & Software - Support & Drivers - Canon Canada Inc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Are you connected through USB? Are you sure the Cable is working (i.e. is it the same cable that you used with your old Macbook Pro?)

I guess you could also be trying to set it up as a bonjour printer that is connected to your old Macbook Pro. Older version but here is a Video.
Video How-To: Printer Sharing on a Mac — Apple News, Tips and Reviews

OP
B
Reaction score
Are you connected through USB? Are you sure the Cable is working (i.e. is it the same cable that you used with your old Macbook Pro?)

I guess you could also be trying to set it up as a bonjour printer that is connected to your old Macbook Pro. Older version but here is a Video.
Video How-To: Printer Sharing on a Mac — Apple News, Tips and Reviews

I assume it is since I have used it before, but would this actually make a difference? Shouldn't the printer driver go to the "add printer" screen regardless if it is connected?

And further, incase you are correct and the USB isn't working for some odd reason, is there any way I can find out through my computer if the cord is connected?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I haven't used that particular Canon. But other Canon printers that I had use the installer package instead of using the built-in Mac dialogue. Once installed the printer showed up under the built-in dialogue. From what I remember you usually want to have a USB printer connected before doing the installs.

The quickest and easiest way to test the cable is to try them with devices and computers that you know work. Cables can go bad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.