Safari stalling

M

MacInWin

Curious problem. Two Mac's one an MBP and the other an iMac. Both at Safari 6.0.2, both at OSX 10.8.2. both connected to the same wireless router. The MBP stalls trying to load abcnews.go.com and wsj.com. iMac loads both just fine. I rebooted MBP, checked permissions, verified all disks, rebooted the MBP. No change.

Very strange. Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are they both using the same DNS settings? And are you running them both at the same time?

OP
M

MacInWin

I tried changing DNS settings, no effect. Right now they are different, but when the problem started they were the same. I ran Namebench, used the results to reset the MBP. I've run them at the same time and have tried shutting down one or the other. No difference. I'm stumped. The two machines DO have different IP numbers.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's try this: Hook the MBP via ethernet to the router to see if it loads those sites any faster. Also, are you having problems with any other site besides those two you mentioned?

BTW, I see you're from Winchester, VA. I did some government work nearby there for several Summers back some years ago. Beautiful area of VA. I loved the mountains.

OP
M

MacInWin

Now Accuweather.com has joined the stalling party. Obviously, this site isn't having problems, nor are many others. I think I'll force a change in IP on the MBP before I search for an ethernet cable (haven't used one of those in years).

OP
M

MacInWin

New IP, no change. No other computer on the wifi network is having the problems (I have 4, plus two iPads and two iPhones all on the network). Of course, the IOS devices end up with the mobile versions, but it's curious that the problem is with ONE machine.

OP
M

MacInWin

When it stalls, Activity Monitor says "Safari Web Services" is running 100%+ CPU on my 2011 MBP. When I stop the stalled page and go somewhere else, that process drops to below 1%. So what is driving that service crazy that isn't on any other machine?

OP
M

MacInWin

I think it's a script. I tried Firefox, and it stalled on abcnews.com with a message about a script that seems to have to do with their election maps that change as results come in. The script is stalling on Firefox on that machine but not the others. I must have some missing component on this MBP.

EDIT: Here is the error message from Firefox: A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: http://a.abcnews.go.com/assets/js/elections/resultchips2012b.js?v=6.24:153

Another EDIT: I tried Firefox on my iMac. The same error from Firefox, but Safari just loads the page with no problem. I think I'll ignore it and wait until tomorrow when all the election scripts are taken down, unless someone has something for me to try tonight.

OP
M

MacInWin

Problem has now gone away. I guess either ABC fixed or removed the script. Accuweather also working. Must have been cosmic rays...

Reaction score
possibly similar issue

I have a few machines in an enterprise environment and some are seeing similar issues. The only thing I can point to is the recent JAVA update that I was actually testing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.