Is this right: I charge my battery, let it get close to 0, and then charge again?

Reaction score
So, I just want to make sure I'm treating my battery correctly: I charge it to full, use it and dont recharge it until it gets close to 0%, and then fully recharge. From what I've read, this seems like the best way to treat it. Am I wrong?

Reaction score
That's what I've always done with any device and I've never had any issues.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Am I wrong?

If you're talking about running the laptop off battery power 100% of the time…in my humble opinion yes.

I say…operate the laptop off the battery when you are not near an electrical plug…and plug the laptop in when you are near an electrical plug. Why the heck run the laptop on battery power when you're just 3 feet from an electrical plug??;)

If you ALWAYS use the laptop on just battery power…IMHO…you're just accumulating unnecessary battery charge/discharge cycles. Lots of folks will and do have differing opinions…so at the end of the day…you got to do what you feel is best in your situation.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have to agree with Nick. It certainly does the battery no harm operating it the way he stated. All you really need to do is occasionally run it down and re-charge it. I've got an old 2003 Toshiba Satellite sitting around my office here at home that still holds a charge for an hour on the original battery!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There of course is another way of looking at things. I'm sure most folks use their iPhone and iPads 100% of the time on battery power. I just don't see doing the same thing with a laptop computer (maybe I'm old fashioned this way)!;)

For what it's worth. I'm pretty sure a replacement battery for a MacBook Pro is more expensive than a replacement battery for an iPhone or iPad. I'm also thinking that the average person may hang onto a MacBook Pro longer than an iPhone or iPad (before upgrading to a newer model). So you have to "live" with your MacBook Pro "battery habits" (good or bad) for a longer time with a MacBook Pro. Which possibly could lead to needing to purchase a replacement MBP battery at some point.

So if nothing else...you don't want to accumulate unnecessary charge/discharge cycles on a MacBook Pro...simply because the replacement battery is more expensive.;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.