Time capsule set up with Verizion MiFi

Reaction score
Hello, just joined and have been looking thru post you seem to knowledgeable.

So would you mind helping me out??

I am new to the Mac world and digging it!

Here is what I have....... My internet source is Verizion WiFi Card, my best option I live rural.

Just bought a used time capsule that I Think I need the password to ....?...and dont Have it :( Is there a "back door" method to set a new password

Also have a new wireless printer Canon MX 892

and for now two Mac laptops.

So the million dollor question is....................What is the smartest way to set things up?

Also since the TC is used should I take some measures to "wipe it clean"? Would this allow a new password?

One more note just incase U are not familiar with the MiFi it has one mini USB port that is all.

Please help

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Here is information on how to reset your time capsule. You should do a factory reset just to make sure it is all your settings.
Resetting an AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule FAQ

What is your exact Verizon Card? When it comes to using 3G/4G - it is best to get a 3G/4G router. I usually buy them from here
3Gstore.com, 3G/4G Routers, Antennas, Amplifiers, WiFi, Extended Batteries, Verizon & Sprint Data Cards
But it depends on what kind of Verizon Card - on what kind of router you should get. The Time Capsule - is expecting a wired type WAN so there may be a way to use it as a router - but as I said - there are several routers at 3gstore made specifically for 3G/4G cards/modems/MiFi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
The MiFi is an actual Router - all by itself. The problem is you either need a USB connection or a WiFi as WAN router. The Time Capsule cannot do either of those - it is expecting Ethernet from your Modem. That being said - the Time Capsule can hook up to a 3G/4G router that does put out a wired signal.

So - the Time Capsule is a useful piece of hardware if you want to do Network Backups and/or have Network Attached Storage - but it is expensive and maybe not what you need considering the hardware you have.

The MX892 is a wireless printer - and you could hook it up to your MiFi directly. That being said - how is the coverage of your MiFi for your house (Can you get WiFi signal all over?) and how many more devices do you have? The MiFi can only handle 5 total.

So - if you want to use your Time Capsule - to distribute the Wifi (can handle a lot mroe devices, probably is faster for internal transfer, and has gigabit ethernet) you can get a range extender/ethernet device like this
Pepwave Surf Mini, 65 Reviews : 3Gstore.com
Then it would go MiFi - over wifi - to the pepwave - through ethernet - to your Time Capsule - then you could use your time capsule as DHCP and WiFi server as well as NAS.

There are other options if you want a full up 3G/4G router. Cradlepoint has always been good.
CradlePoint MBR95 3G/4G Router, 188 Reviews : 3Gstore.com
Then you could setup your Cradlepoint as a Router and use the Time Capsule in Bridge mode. Then the Time Capsule is an expensive NAS - but it does have a USB port for adding a USB Printer or USB Hard Drive.

Here is the advisor page for your MiFi 2200 on the 3GStore so you can see what all works with it.
3G/4G Router Advisor : 3Gstore.com, 3G/4G Routers, Antennas, Amplifiers, WiFi, Extended Batteries, Verizon & Sprint Data Cards

It just depends on your budget and what you want to do.

OP
S
Reaction score
HELP PLEASE Got all my components

Hello I know it has been awhile but I have purchased the pepwave surf as suggested ....called the 3G store and got some support had it all connected and working .......Mifi to pepwave surf either net cable from pepwave surf to my time capsule and the time capsule broadcasting a network with my devices connecting to time capsule .........It was working fine until I went thru the assisted setup for the time capsule on my iMac when I updated the settings I can no longer see the time capsule network the only network I can see is my mifi2200

Help Please

Thanks in advance !!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.