Time Machine Backup

Reaction score
I have been using Time Machine to backup my files on a Seagate external drive. I just bought a Seagate portable drive, and Time Machine was going to take 210 days to back up my 172 Gig of data. The Seagate folks got that down to 28 days - oh, joy. I returned the drive, and bought a larger, faster Toshiba. Now we are about 5 days.

Can anybody i) explain why the length of time and/or ii) what I can do to make it reasonable?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are you backing up the files wirelessly? That can add significantly to the backup time needed.

OP
D
Reaction score
My backup is via USB 2.0. The more I read, the more I realize that this Time Machine problem is not solvable right now. I don't know what millions of other users are going to do, but I think I will research and purchase a better program.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Reaction score
USB 2.0 is your issue, not Time Machine. It's slow when even compared to FireWire 400, let alone FireWire 800, USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt which are on a whole other level.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi. The iMac doesn't support USB 3.0, yet. I have a firewire cable but the Toshiba drive only has a USB port. Looks like I'm done in!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Instead of using Time Machine, consider using a cloning program that does smart backups and at the same time renders the backup bootable. Which by the way Time Machine does not. Try Carbon Copy Cloner, download from here. However, with that large a backup, whatever program you use is not going to be a speed demon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.