• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Compression of .mov file for email transmission as attachment

Reaction score
I'm working on a G5 OS 10.5.8 machine. I have an iMovie .mov file that is 807 MB that I need to compress for transmission to a large number of recipients as an email attachment, without significant loss of fidelity or clarity. People keep recommending DropBox, but isn't that just like iCloud, storing the file on the net for others to access. The crowd I'm sending this too will look at email attachments, but will not reliably go to any other site, like DropBox, iCloud, or even YouTube, to look at the video. Any suggestions?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I can't think of any email service that will let you send or receive a file any where near that size. You're going to have to use an online service to host the file temporarily. Dropbox is a good idea since you can host files in folders that aren't publicly accessible. Once the file is uploaded, you can have Dropbox send an "invite" to the folder which will let the recipients download it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.