Unhide files AND make them no longer a hidden TYPE of file

Reaction score
I have "unhidden" files that I previously hide made on a pc. Problem is I don't know how to make them no longer the type of file that hides when you turn that setting back on. Any help is appreciated! Cheers!

using 10.7.4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
How did you unhide them?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have "unhidden" files that I previously hide made on a pc. Problem is I don't know how to make them no longer the type of file that hides when you turn that setting back on. Any help is appreciated! Cheers!

using 10.7.4

Open Terminal: Applications, Utilities, terminal.app

Type the following:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO

Press return. Then type in "exit" to leave the terminal. And do not show hidden files unless you absolutely have to, otherwise your desktop and folders will be a mess.

OP
T
Reaction score
I understand that part. That will RE-hide the files I unhide. That's not what I want to happen. I no longer want these files to be the kind that hide. These are not the operating system files I'm referring to. They are files I created and turned on the "hide" option on a windows pc. Now that I am using a Mac I no longer want them to be hidden.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Give us an example of the type of file(s) you're referring to. Turning on the hidden attribute in Windows is very different from doing the same thing in OS X.

Take a look at this "SuperUser" article which may explain what you're looking for: LINK

OP
T
Reaction score
.doc, .avi, .jpeg files.

I see something in that link about "unflagging" hidden folders. That seems like what I'm trying to do. Not sure what they are referring to in "chflags hidden some-file". Thanks for the responses so far! Appreciated!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.