Word template Normal.dotm

Reaction score
I too have been having problems which started with my formatting brush disappearing.
I have tried starting a new normal.dotm file but the saves are not saved.
I have logged in under another user name where the template is OK and tried copying that into my logon but that doesnt work either.
Anyone got any ideas please.

Golferdave52

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved here to the correct forum.

You're going to have to provide us with more information. We don't have any idea of what you're trying to tell us. I'm guessing here that you were having problems using Word's "Publishing Layout View" and lost the "Paintbrush" icon?

You also say you tried a new normal.dotm? How did you do that? In order to create a new normal.dotm you have to delete the old one first, and you can't do that while Word is running.

Also: We need the year and model of your Mac, version of OS X, and most importantly, which version of Word do you have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
To reiterate what chscag said. Close Word and delete the Normal.dotm. Search the drive for it and delete every instance. then, open Word and the Normal.dotm will rebuild itself from scratch.

OP
G
Reaction score
Word

Thank you guys for responding, I appreciate it.

I am using an Imac8,1
Mac OSX Version 10.6.8
Word for Mac 2011 Version 14.2.4

The paintbrush tool has disappeared and I use it all the time.
When I had this problem a few months ago I found some online tips which said.
Shut down word.
Find the Normal.dotm file
Delete it
Restart Word and the file rebuilds itself.
That worked then but doesn’t want to now.

If I look at word on the other log in on this computer the brush is there. So I tried replacing the Normal.dotm file on my login with the one from the other login. That doesn’t work either.

Where do I go from here or should I reinstall.
Thank you for your time

golferdave52

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you deleted the normal.dotm file from your login account and Word created another, but the Paintbrush tool is still not showing up, perhaps the normal template was not deleted. Copying from one account to another usually does not work as there could be corruption.

What I suggest trying... is delete normal.dotm again, let Word create another, then open Word 2011 to the Print layout view. If the Paintbrush still does not show up, right click on the menu bar at the top, select "Customize Toolbars and Menu". Now try adding the Paintbrush tool. Let us know if that works. If not, you may have to reinstall Office 2011.

OP
G
Reaction score
WORD Paintbrush

Still nothing. I think there is some corruption here because in WORD if I go into the view menu / click on toolbars / then untick and tick “standard” a couple of times it appears but exit word and the next time you launch WORD it’s gone again

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I was hoping it was just a bad toolbar. But it looks like your copy of Word is corrupt. It's a real pain to reinstall but I see no other way to resolve this one for now. In order to reinstall Word, you have to completely remove MS Office 2011. There is no way unfortunately to separately uninstall Word without removing everything else. (Unlike Windows which makes it easy.)

And, you can't just drag everything to the trash because that will not work. Since Office 2011 has no uninstaller, Microsoft has provided detailed instructions at this LINK. Your documents and user templates will not be effected. Also, you should have no problem activating your copy again using the same SN.

Let us know how it went.

OP
G
Reaction score
WORD Format brush

Thanks for you efforts.
As a temporary measure I shall use the other log in until I clear a backlog of work and then take the task on. Cheers. Enjoy the rest of your day

OP
G
Reaction score
WORD - format painter

For some reason my format painter has started appearing again.
I have also subsequently found out that, the toolbar that it appears in can be opened and closed by clicking on the small elongated bubble in the top right hand corner of the page (Above the search window) rather than the drop down menu.
Thank you for your help and I hope this helps someone else.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for posting back with the solution. Sometimes the simplest things get forgotten. We've had this reported before (the small elongated bubble) for other errors and I had forgotten that it could be the reason for the tool bar not always showing all the icons.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.