Mountain Lion - Notes app crashing. PLEASE HELP

Reaction score
My Notes app keeps crashing. I ran a diagnostics on it in terminal and this is what it states:

Last login: Mon Nov 5 21:48:42 on ttys001
unknown0026bb1e3282:~ Ghost$ codesign -vv /Applications/Notes.app
/Applications/Notes.app: a sealed resource is missing or invalid
In architecture: x86_64
resource added: /Applications/Notes.app/Contents/Resources/.DS_Store
unknown0026bb1e3282:~ Ghost$

Does anyone know how to fix this? IS the the DS_store file not needed? is it missing?
Can this be fixed short of re-installing ML.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I just checked my Notes app and I don't even have a .DS_Store file present in that location. It would be invisible, but I toggled invisibles to be shown. I would go ahead and just trash that file to see if that fixes it. If not, try extracting Notes.app out of the Mountain Lion installer. You can try that with this app:
Download Payload Extractor for Mac - Open and view OS X .pkg files. MacUpdate.com

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What you did there was run a code signature check. That won't tell you anything about why it's crashing. What you need to look at are any logs that may have been generated. You can view these in Console (/Applications/Utilities). What do you see in there that has to do with the Notes app?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What you did there was run a code signature check. That won't tell you anything about why it's crashing. What you need to look at are any logs that may have been generated. You can view these in Console (/Applications/Utilities). What do you see in there that has to do with the Notes app?

Say van, FWIW I ran that command on my copy of Notes and get this message:

Code:
iMac:~ John$ codesign -vv /Applications/Productivity/Notes.app
/Applications/Productivity/Notes.app: valid on disk
/Applications/Productivity/Notes.app: satisfies its Designated Requirement

Since I'm getting something indicating all is well with the app and the OP is not, it appears to me that the app got modified somehow and is failing the code signing check. I recall reading that signed apps whose icons were modified using CandyBar were crashing also, thus part of the reason why CB is now free and no longer supported. If the app package has contents that don't belong, would that amount to failing the code check?

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for replying. I removed the .ds_store file, and everything says the code is fine in terminal. I restarted - and notes still crashes. I was wondering if you guys could try this on your macs, because im thinking I might not be the only one. When you open notes, create a "test note" and isolate it to the desktop, "pin it" by double clicking the note on the left side of the application so it pops up a smaller note. Then click the trashcan icon on that note, and confirm the deletion. This is when it should crash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was wondering if you guys could try this on your macs, because im thinking I might not be the only one. When you open notes, create a "test note" and isolate it to the desktop, "pin it" by double clicking the note on the left side of the application so it pops up a smaller note. Then click the trashcan icon on that note, and confirm the deletion. This is when it should crash.

I can confirm that recreating your steps does cause Notes to crash for me. And the test note that I deleted, although it was removed from my list initially, is back in the list when I re-run Notes. I have no problems using Notes otherwise. It looks like you found a bug!

Here's some discussions elsewhere with possible solutions:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4155768?start=0&tstart=0
Quick Fix - Notes Crashing on Mountain Lion | Tech Ninja

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Say van, FWIW I ran that command on my copy of Notes and get this message:
True, Notes should pass the check as a signed app but apps don't have to pass the check. For example, any apps I write are unsigned (I don't distribute them so I have no need to) and they all run fine. In other words, passing/failing this check says nothing about why an app doesn't run.

OP: It sure likes you found a bug in the app. I think your best bet is to report it to Apple (here if you have an Apple ID).

Reaction score
Test Crash

Thanks everyone for replying. I removed the .ds_store file, and everything says the code is fine in terminal. I restarted - and notes still crashes. I was wondering if you guys could try this on your macs, because im thinking I might not be the only one. When you open notes, create a "test note" and isolate it to the desktop, "pin it" by double clicking the note on the left side of the application so it pops up a smaller note. Then click the trashcan icon on that note, and confirm the deletion. This is when it should crash.

This is exactly what happens to me. I have a floating note titled test, which crashes every time I try to close it or delete it. Oddly enough, other actual notes I inadvertently floated on the desktop didn't crash Notes when I closed them. I had already located the suggested solutions, and either they didn't work or I was unable to locate the needed files. Did you have any luck?

iMac 20 (Early 2008)
upgraded 10.5 to 10.8

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.