New iMac won't print to Epson DX8450

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
New iMac connected to this printer by USB. Shows in the System prefs as being there (in fact the Mac place I bought it from installed the printer driver while I was in the shop), but when I try printing, the printer starts the process and prints about 2 inches of the page then it hangs. Any help and advice for a non-techy person would be much appreciated!! Ta, Caz

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, downloaded OK but couldn't open because it is from an unidentified developer. It says my 'security prefs only allow installation from the Mac Apple Store and identified developers'. Should I ignore this and just change my pref settings?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I'm sure you can ignore it, but no idea how you change your pref settings.

M

MacInWin

Open System Preferences, Security and Privacy settings, General and change the option to allow applications downloaded from anywhere. Install the drivers, then go back and change the setting to "Mac App Store and identified developers."

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've downloaded and opened it. Now, will I need to get rid of the existing printer in the 'Printers' box and replace with the new one? Don't get why it would print just the first couple of inches at the top of the page... so it's obviously working... to a point.

M

MacInWin

Could be something weird in the document you are trying to print. One you have the driver reinstalled, try printing something simple (a straightforward text document of one page would do) before trying the original file again. I've found sometimes that files can have unprintable characters imbedded that choke the printer, especially files downloaded from somewhere. The fix for me was to re-download the file to get rid of the unprintable characters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Firstly I would print a test page, you should be able to do this via system preference > print and scan > Epson DX8450 > options and supplies > utility > print test page.

This may indicate what is happening.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Tried printing a test page which was OK. Says printer is not connected and is offline. Not wireless, just basic setting. Checked all the leads. Can't print the most basic of files. How do I 'connect' it? Don't know what else I can try really!

OP
C
Reaction score
Had someone to look at this... The driver installed is v9. Mac is 10.8. It will print a test page (when turned off and on again). But keeps saying not connected. Surely this printer should be compatible with this mac, really don't want to buy another and have same fault. Wish I was tecky enough to explain but I'm stumped!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

This really is odd, so please try this again just for my peace of mind and post back results.

1) Open System Preferences by clicking on the icon in the Dock.
2) Go to the Print & Fax control panel.
3( Select the printer you want to take online from the list on the left side of the screen. Then click on the "Open Print Queue" button.
4) Click on the "Resume Printer" button at the top of the queue window to change the printer from offline to online.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hello Oldscribe,
Thanks for this.

When I click 'Open Print Queue', says 'printer not connected' and printer is offline. It has the 'whirring' status bar and when I click to Close, it's unable to delete the Word doc as it's already cancelled and so can't cancel. When I click to Pause, it says 'Unable to hold word doc and it's finished and can't be altered'.

My friend tried switching printer off and on and it did print a page, but then reverted to saying not connected.

I use a simple USB cable. Just wondering in fact if this printer is not comparable with my mac. I'm almost hoping that's the case!!

Many thanks, Carolyn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

Sorry to hear you still have had no luck, this printer should be fine with Mac OS X10.3+, and truth be told I have had no issues with either Canon or Epson printers re compatibility.
But I am beginning to think this is defiantly a printer software issue.

1) One last test, turn off and disconnect the printers USB lead.
2) Fully delete /Remove all the Epson software/drivers.
3) Reboot Mac
4) Now re plug the USB cable and turn the printer on.
5) Let the Mac decide what to do re finding the relevant print and scan drivers (this is what I do) but not the full software package, just the print and scan drivers.
6) Now follow the on screen prompts to install.

Then post back results.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hello again, and thanks!

Did points 1-4. Reverted to Default printer Epson Stylus DX8400. Pressed 'print', which printed 90% of the page then stalled. message reads 'Communications error'. On the printer itself, the On/Off switch flashing and the dialogue screen says Printing... so I gently teased out the paper, and turned printer off.

Turned printed on again, and went through the same process with the same results.

The only point I wasn't sure about was your Point 5, as the default printer is Epson Stylus DX8400 (as used by my old mac) and whatever I have downloaded from the internet hasn't worked.

Thanks for helping...
Carolyn

OP
C
Reaction score
ps: and just for info, I went on Epson site, and looked at the drivers for the printer. Driver is v6.10 Nov 2007. Seems old!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Have you tried a different USB cable ? You might have a defective one ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

Point 5 is that Mac are quit cleaver when it come to recognizing new hardware especially printers, so at step 5 the Mac should have told you that a new printer had been found and make a suggestion re acquiring the drivers needed. This was how I installed my latest canon drivers. As I have one printer for photos and one for general document printing.

Just checked the Epson site and agree with you 2007 really does seem out dated to me and for Leopard.

Just to recap you are saying that the default Epson Stylus DX8400 driver to some extent worked better than the correct one you downloaded from Epson for the Epson DX8450 from here.
Drivers & Support - Epson Stylus DX8450 - Epson

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi TattooedMac, I bought a new USB cable from Currys, so should be OK.

Oldscribe, the default driver DX8400 did work better, but only after I unplugged cable, rebooted etc. The very first time I tried to print (when I first knew I had a problem) was when I only got a couple of inches worth of print before it stalled.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.