• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

The New Macbook pro

OP
R

Redbull

It would be good to see a 17'' Macbook pro, but I can't imagine the cost.

I can't work out some of Apple's pricey over the last seven months. I paid £1150 for my 17'' PB, 1.67GZ, 100GB, 7500rmp with 1 GB of RAM and an iSight.

The equivalent of today's PB with a resolution update and longer battery life accordance costs a whooping £1700?! £550 difference just for two updates?

Shocking to say at least.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
Yep. Apple does overprice.

But I'd rather pay more and get a good product than pay less just to pay less.

OP
G

GoldenDelicious

I dont know what it is with apple and their prices, why in the uk do we have to pay more for apple products than people in the usa for the same product?

I worked out with a decent exchange rate i can pick up either the 17" powerbook or the 15.4" mac book pro with a saving of around £350.

Im so confused i fell in love with the Powerbook 17" now they bring out 15.4" Intel Version, you can bet i fly out to the usa by my mac book pro and as im flying back they will either drop the price or launch a new 17" size doh!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
GoldenDelicious said:
Does anyone know where the 17" model mac book pro is.... or when we might see one i was due to buy the lastest 17" powerbook from the usa when i travel there in May i have found it for £1850 Compared to apple's price of £2495.
i do like the macbook pro its fast but its only 15.4" not 17"

http://www.lacomputercompany.com/cgi-bin/rpcart/index.cgi?command=dispitem&type=sku&sku=23811

Was that inclusive of tax? When I looked and found that some stores didn't include tax due to the different tax systems in different states.. If you are buying new from a reseller then there shouldn't be that much difference in the prices..

OP
G

GoldenDelicious

homer_j said:
Was that inclusive of tax? When I looked and found that some stores didn't include tax due to the different tax systems in different states.. If you are buying new from a reseller then there shouldn't be that much difference in the prices..

Yea that includes state of California Tax which is 8.5% Total Price $1850
and it is the latest powerbook with the new brighter screen etc..i will be going there to pick it up rather than have it delivered so that will save a little too.

OP
R

Redbull

GoldenDelicious said:
I dont know what it is with apple and their prices, why in the uk do we have to pay more for apple products than people in the usa for the same product?

Blame Gordon Brown. I've bought many products from USA (imported) and saved at least £850 in the last 14 months.

But it is a risk if you buy aboard.

OP
G

GoldenDelicious

Gorden Brown Scrooge MacDuck

Redbull said:
Blame Gordon Brown. I've bought many products from USA (imported) and saved at least £850 in the last 14 months.

But it is a risk if you buy aboard.

Yea i do blame him, what i find really annoying is when it was almost $2 for the pound Gorden Brown ie the government put a limit on what you could bring back to the UK as they didnt want you spending money in the usa as they would miss out on all there precious tax (like they dont tax us enough as it is) :mad:

When i go the store i am going to test the mac book pro / powerbook depending on which one i buy make sure its fully working with no dead pixels etc...

When you imported from the US did you have to pay any more duty? i havent tried importing yet. i am going to the US on holiday so i thought i might as make use of the cheap prices...

OP
R

Redbull

GoldenDelicious said:
When you imported from the US did you have to pay any more duty? i havent tried importing yet. i am going to the US on holiday so i thought i might as make use of the cheap prices...

Well, you pay for the shipping cost first on top of the original cost. Then import duty is usually around 4.2%, then possibly a custom fee, once all added charges have been made, this is what annoys me most, VAT!! :mad: They always use VAT charge on the final cost, not the cost in the first place.

There have been occasions where, by coincidence, you do avoid some of those charges. Depends on the company you buy from, usually.

OP
G

GoldenDelicious

Cheers Redbull i will look into it importing could be the way forward i just hope they will iron out any hardware & software issues with he mac book pro before i fly out to the USA and hopefully launch a 17" model..

Reaction score
I find this amount of fuss over the name to be a joke in itself. To be honest I never call my Imac an Imac I usually just say My Mac. When I refer to a Powerbook in the office and am around non-techy people I say the Mac laptop.

Perhaps its me and i like a "does what it says on the tin" approach but MacBook Pro is alright to me, surely the hardware speaks for itself, plus i find it so cring-worthy when i hear computers with names like sexual lubricant for example Dell's Xps sounds like something you'd catch off a hooker or Vaio from Sony, which my dad said sounded like washing up powder.

Whats in a name?????

Powerbook or not there may have been other reasons for the name change.......we can but wonder!

OP
L

lurch104

GoldenDelicious said:
and it is the latest powerbook with the new brighter screen etc..i will be going there to pick it up rather than have it delivered so that will save a little too.

On your way to CA, if you can schedule a layover in Philadelphia, the Christiana Mall Mac store in Delaware is only about 1/2 hour away.

Delaware=NO SALES TAX!

I live in Harrisburg PA, but drove right past the King of Prussia Mac store to buy in Delawae to save soo $$$.

OP
G

GoldenDelicious

lurch104 said:
On your way to CA, if you can schedule a layover in Philadelphia, the Christiana Mall Mac store in Delaware is only about 1/2 hour away.

Delaware=NO SALES TAX!

I live in Harrisburg PA, but drove right past the King of Prussia Mac store to buy in Delawae to save soo $$$.

Cheers for that i will consider it nice one

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
Smartz said:
I find this amount of fuss over the name to be a joke in itself. To be honest I never call my Imac an Imac I usually just say My Mac. When I refer to a Powerbook in the office and am around non-techy people I say the Mac laptop.

Perhaps its me and i like a "does what it says on the tin" approach but MacBook Pro is alright to me, surely the hardware speaks for itself, plus i find it so cring-worthy when i hear computers with names like sexual lubricant for example Dell's Xps sounds like something you'd catch off a hooker or Vaio from Sony, which my dad said sounded like washing up powder.

Whats in a name?????

Powerbook or not there may have been other reasons for the name change.......we can but wonder!

I think more people will call their powerbook a powerbook tbh than a mac laptop and it is quite amazing the discussion that has taken place over a name.

I think its the actual status the name has carried over the years, a powerbook sounds like and is known to be a very nice quality piece of equipment and the mac book pro just sounds like a toy or a piece of software for learning or something...Im clearly not the authoritive voice on this subject but I think that is one of the reasons why people are being turned off by the name.

I bet there is a team of white coats from apple watching these forums to see how the product has gone down. I can't see that apple will be the kind of company to do the market research in terms of showing somebody a product and saying what do you think because they keep everything so ****ed secret and those privy to the information are the ones heavily involved so they don't have an impartial view.

So l am just going to have to send my CV to steve to say I am good at keeping secets and will be impatial on all new products lol.. Oh that reminds me...Did I tell you that my next door neighbour is.... lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The name "PowerBook" has been around for a long time, and many people recognize it as meaning "laptop computer" even if they're not computer geeks (or mac-heads.)

"Powerbook" works its way into speech well. It sounds like a real English word, not a made-up product name. You can say it in ordinary speech without sounding like a commercial, like Coke or (for that matter) iPod. "MacBook Pro" is too clunky and made-up sounding. You could get used to it, but it'll never be a natural word.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
GoldenDelicious said:

State tax is only 7.25% but various local governments tack on an extra bit depending where you are at. 8.5% would have to be San Fransisco, which is the highest in the state. In my town it's "only" 7.75%. If you are going to be traveling around you might want to check some stores out in the suburbs to save another $20 or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
technologist is essentialy dead on. I think the main factor we are looing at is "Book"
Whereas Laptops and "Notebook Computers" are one in the same. So...iBook, PowerBook, MacBook. I think the name Pro should leave, cause I start to think of QuickTime Pro, or Quicken or something. I think that the word Pro should be dropped, for obvious reasons. I like "MacBook" better, but I still dont think it compares to PowerBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's
What will they do with the Intel PowerMac? MacMac?
I would have gone with ProBook and ProMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.