Mid 2009 MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7
I don't remember my fan running so often on my MBP. Now it seems to do it as if it's second nature - a lot of the time. Not just streaming video, but some websites too. Does some component begin to labor with age? I know that Flash is far from perfect, but I'm not used to the fan running so often, and the laptop always being warm to the touch. Would this be happening with a new MBP? Do the newer ones just run cooler? Not sure what the deal is here? Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Since this is an almost 3 year-old computer…it could be getting dirty inside…impeding proper cooling air flow.

On the other hand…maybe your MBP's fan always ran this way…and you simply didn't notice it before (since it's really not that uncommon for MBP fans to run loudly when watching internet video…or viewing content with a lot of "Flash" content.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since this is an almost 3 year-old computer…it could be getting dirty inside…impeding proper cooling air flow.

On the other hand…maybe your MBP's fan always ran this way…and you simply didn't notice it before (since it's really not that uncommon for MBP fans to run loudly when watching internet video…or viewing content with a lot of "Flash" content.

- Nick

Thanks for the response pigoo3. How would I go about cleaning the computer myself?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the response pigoo3. How would I go about cleaning the computer myself?

The best way would be to do some disassembly...but i understand that this is not something everyone is comfortable with. Otherwise...getting a container of "canned air"...with the small diameter tube that comes with it...to focus/concentrate the air flow.

Mostly spray the air in the the area/openings around the display hinge...since this is where the hot air exits.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The best way would be to do some disassembly...but i understand that this is not something everyone is comfortable with. Otherwise...getting a container of "canned air"...with the small diameter tube that comes with it...to focus/concentrate the air flow.

Mostly spray the air in the the area/openings around the display hinge...since this is where the hot air exits.

- Nick

Thanks Nick.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.