Installing Win7 on 2011 15" MBP 2.66Ghz - The Plan

Reaction score
I've always been a Windows guy (and .net developer) that admires Apple hardware, so I finally got a 2011 Core i7 15" MBP over the weekend. It's being shipped to me now. I have a 256MB SSD on its way too. I plan to use the SSD as the main drive, then remove the optical and slave out the 500GB disc already in the MBP using this or the like:
OptiBay® Hard Drive and SSD Drive for MacBook Pro, MacBook, PowerBook G4, and Mac mini

I'll be rebuilding the system to be 50/50 mac/win partitions. I already have a BOOTABLE SD card with my x64 Win7 install on it. I've used it to install on several windows boxes already.

I've read up a fair amount already, but see issues here and there with others saying that they get a black screen with prompt after they use Boot Camp to create the partition. They're unable to boot off a USB. However I think I've seen other posts where people ARE able to boot from their USB drive or SD card and run the windows install on the blank partition. The best I can tell, the people with the problems are those without a working, bootable SD or USB key already created, trying to use their mac to create the bootable USB/SD. I already have one of these I created on my Windows box.

My plan is this:
- Image the Mac OS on the installed 500Gb drive already in the MBP to my new SSD. (What's the best approach for this?)
- Install SSD in the MPB, boot up to Mac OS.
- Run disk utility Boot Camp, Create partition for my Win7 x64 install.
- Power down, boot up with my SD card in the machine, run Win7 setup from SD on new partition

^^^ in an ideal world this will all just work! ^^^

- install the 500Gb drive in the optical bay using he OWC adapter.
- live out my days in dual-boot bliss

Anyone see any flaws in my approach? Gotchas I'm not taking into account? What's the best approach to back up the MacOS install on the stock 500Gb drive? Any RTFM replies, would you kindly provide relevant links for me to read? I've read a lot of posts and could use some guidance weeding out the detritus.

Thanks in advance!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
394 Views and nobody's got a thing to say?

Not all those views are from humans. And most likely...many actual humans reading your post:

- May not have expertise in this area.
- May not have a Mac-Forums membership (just "lurkers").

- Nick

Reaction score
It should work just fine. I have the same set up on a 2012 13" macbook pro and didn't run into any issue. I didn't install Windows from an SD card but instad a regular USB thumb drive but again no issues. I will say that Bootcamp will not recognize the bootable thumb drive so I had to copy a .ISO of my windows installation and mount it with Daemon Tools Lite to kind of fool Bootcamp so it would restart the computer. After it restarted the computer recognized the thumb drive and away it went with the install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.