iCloud documents and Finder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I started using iCloud for iWorks now that it is fully integrated with Mountain Lion (I'm using 10.8.2) and iOS 6 (Using 6.0). It seems that Apple wants you use the application to access the document. That is - if you want to open a keynote document - you open keynote. Apple have been moving that way for a while (Apps control documents). I did find some tips on getting to your documents in Finder.
Access all your iCloud files from the Finder sidebar - Mac OS X Hints
Basically your documents are in ~/Library/Mobile\ Documents which you can get to in Finder by going to the Go pulldown and holding down alt/option -> Library should show up as a choice.

Finder -> View -> Path Bar
I also found the documents in the "All My Files" sidebar item. You can open iCloud from the path bar - but it actually just the folder for the current type of document. i.e. - if you select a pages document - and select iCloud from the Path Bar - it will show you ~/Library/Mobile\ Documents/com~apple~Pages/Documents

So if you want to see all your iWork documents you can make a smart folder. Go to ~/Library/Mobile\ Documents -> Then in the search bar type in tef
Seems that all the iWork documents use tef in the name. Then you can use the save from the search bar - to put that search in your sidebar. For other Apps - it seems they have a different identifier that varies app to app.

If anyone else has better ideas on how to get to the iCloud documents I'd love to hear it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.