External HDD accessible on OSX10.6 but read only on 10.8

Reaction score
My external HDD is defined as 'custom access' on OSX 10.6, allowing me to read and write as I choose, but in OSX 10.8 it is read only. Does anyone know why, and whether there is work around WITHOUT reformatting the drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
How is it formatted?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
My external HDD is defined as 'custom access' on OSX 10.6, allowing me to read and write as I choose, but in OSX 10.8 it is read only. Does anyone know why, and whether there is work around WITHOUT reformatting the drive?

From the Finder, right-click on the external HDD icon; click the lock at the bottom and enter an admin name/password; then check the option to Ignore ownership on this volume. Hopefully that will do the trick.

If not, then we need to know how this drive is formatted. If it's in NTFS, then are you using 3rd party software to enable writing to NTFS volumes in 10.6 and not in 10.8?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.