iPhone 4s Excessive data usage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 Macbook pro 17", June 2004 Powermac G5, late 2008 Macbook, 2001 Ruby iMac G3,2007 Mac Mini
Hello. I've noticed recently a lot of iPhone 5's have been using excessive data and version has released a fix for it (Carrier settings 13.1). The problem is this fix doesn't seem to work on my effected iPhone 4s. I've hit 90% on my data in the last 4 days, which isn't that great. Anyone know how to get the update or is this a 5 update only. (not a fan of wiping my phone, though i've seen it suggested.) Thanks in advance,
-M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hello. I've noticed recently a lot of iPhone 5's have been using excessive data and version has released a fix for it (Carrier settings 13.1). The problem is this fix doesn't seem to work on my effected iPhone 4s. I've hit 90% on my data in the last 4 days, which isn't that great. Anyone know how to get the update or is this a 5 update only. (not a fan of wiping my phone, though i've seen it suggested.) Thanks in advance,
-M

Maybe you are just using a lot of data. What are you doing on it? I find it hard to believe that this is related to what was going on with the iPhone 5 or you would have seen it before now (unless you just updated to iOS 6 maybe?). My wife and I both have iPhone 4S models and we haven't had any issues.

Try doing a hard reset to see if that cures it. You can first check to see if a hard reset is necessary by going to Settings > General > Usage. If the times for Usage and Standby are identical despite having sat idle for a period after a full charge, then something is hung in the background.

To do a hard reset, press the Home button and keep it held. Then quickly press the Lock button up top and keep both pressed until it reboots and you see the Apple logo.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 Macbook pro 17", June 2004 Powermac G5, late 2008 Macbook, 2001 Ruby iMac G3,2007 Mac Mini
I havent done anything outside of check facebook and send some messages. I've been doing this for the 9 months i've had the phone. This only started about 2 weeks ago, still not doing anything different then what I normally do. I did a hard reset and i'm going to see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
This is an iOS problem. When iOS 6 came out, it did so with some serious issues on how to manage updates for iTunes Match, the Apps Store, and the various iCloud applications via wireless data. There are some other updates associated with Apple services that are equally chewing up large amounts of data. They pushed out a "fix" for Verizon subscribers, but most users now are just opting for dissabling iTunes Match, iCloud, and the other Apple cloud services until Apple fixes this mess.

Apple needs to come up with a configuration in iOS to enable users to chose to restrict updating of these services through Wi-fi alone, rather than through wireless data, when Wi-fi is enabled. I know that iOS devices are supposed to switch to Wi-Fi updating automatically right now, but this is simply not what is presently taking place, and users are paying for it through excessive data fees.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.