Linksys NSLU

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
I just bought a Linksys NSLU2, and hooked it up to my Linksys WRT54G router.

We have a Wireless ibook, and a desktop mini, I had both of them working with it great, but transferring a large file (actually folder, (used photoshop folder on) It went At about 1 MB a second (mega byte) to start, which isnt great, but I can live with it, until about 45 MB, at which point it started slowing down gradually, until it was at a total crawl, by 70 MB transferred, it was going about .1 megabyte every 5 seconds or so (Im serious). Hard drive activity light is barely flashing at that point, but the activity light on the router, and the one on the NSLU itself are going bonkers, my network activity meter shows about 15 Kb/s in little packets leaving the computer, with long pauses in between

Pulling the test file off of the 200GB Maxtor that was hooked up to the NSLU2 and trashing it was almost as slow.....

Am I not doing something right here? small files go fast enough, but the big ones bog down as described above.... Router setting perhaps? I upgraded the firmware off of linksys site to the current version (it had the original version on it, almost 2 years old) and it made no difference.

Help......

I plan on writing a hardware review for this when I get it working correctly....... but what a PITA so far

OP
Icicle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
Update:

After realizing that the issue wasnt the computers, wasnt my network, and losing sleep scratching my head over it, I realized.......

Linksys method of formatting the dirve you choose SUCKS.

I unplugged the HDD from the NSLU and pluggedit straight into my computer, reformatted it in FAT32, set aside a partition for virtual PC stuff, and THEN plugged it back into the NSLU and guess what.....

Much better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.