Kernel Panic - Macbook Pro - Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Hey all,

First post here and its a tough one...

I've been scouring the forums looking for someone with my predicament that has solved the issue, but to no avail specifically, so here goes:

My late 2009 Intel Macbook Pro (that had OS 10.6.7 running) has encountered a terrible kernel panic issue. I don't remember updating any software before this problem started but I do remember I was trying to partition the drive a few weeks back. After that the problem began. I used Disk Utility to get attempt the partition but it failed. I clicked OK, restarted my machine...kernel panic problem begins.

I have started the HD in target disk mode and copied all my important files as a clone, and then verified the disk, repaired the disk...no progress. I then decided it was time to re-install the OS (I do have the original 10.5 disks that it shipped with, and the 10.6 upgrade disk). I erased the drive and started the computer holding option, then selected the OS X Install disc and...kernel panic. I cannot run the installer disk before kernel panic kicks in. It reads something like:

"Cannot load driver "ACPI ""... "No OS currently selected" or something like that. (I do not currently have the error message in front of me)

So I next try to start the system in safe mode holding Shift. This time the system takes its time trying to start up, but eventually goes back to the kernel panic.This time the kernel panic reads out a little different, along the lines of:

"kernel panic thread: fsck_hfs" (once again I'm not in front of said error message so I can't type it specifically.)

I've taken the computer into an certified Apple repair shop and they have run the hardware tests showing that everything is OK with the computer. They believe that the OS somehow got corrupted.

So I opened the machine, and removed the hard drive. Then I started the computer, but still the kernel panic exists, with no hard drive even connected. I then checked that the RAM and all connections are solid...looks good to me.

So if the computer can't get to re-installing the operating system, considering all of the steps I've tried, what else can be done?

Please help! This seems unlike the other kernel panic errors I have read about. I definitely want to keep with 10.5/10.6, and not go forward with Lion...but it would be nice if the computer worked for that to happen ;P

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please help! This seems unlike the other kernel panic errors I have read about. I definitely want to keep with 10.5/10.6, and not go forward with Lion...but it would be nice if the computer worked for that to happe

It the machine goes into immediate KP without the hard drive, it has to be related to a hardware fault. IMO, that narrows it down to three possibilities:

1. You're using the wrong disks. Are you absolutely sure those are the original install disks that shipped with the machine?

2. Memory error

3. Logic board

Since you can't get the machine to boot without it going into immediate KP, there's no way to do a memory check. The only thing you can do here is to swap out the modules with known good ones. Or, remove one module at a time and try to boot to see what happens.

OP
G
Reaction score
I've solved the issue!

Thanks for your suggestions chscag!

I took the RAM modules out, one at a time...one of them caused the problem.

No more kernel panic, and time for a RAM upgrade :Cool:

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's great. Glad to hear it's solved. Don't forget to change out both modules with new ones - preferably a matched pair from the same maker.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.