MacBook Pro Loses Power During Sleep

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
My late 2008 MacBook Pro with 10.8.2 and 4 GB of ram has started acting a bit weird. I've done a bit of Googling but have not found much that is helpful. Any help appreciated.My MB Pro is currently running on AC power because the existing battery had started to warp a bit so I removed it. Everything was well until about two weeks ago. Then I started experiencing the following issues:

As long as I am working at the Mac I do not experience anything more unusual than the occasional beach ball. If I leave the Mac for a few minutes it sleeps as usual and seems to obey the settings in the Energy preference pane.

If the machine sleeps for an extended period of time it behaves differently. Sometimes it wakes as expected. At other times it refuses to wake up. When a key is pressed the keyboard does not light up and both screens remain dark. To wake the system I must power down and reboot.

Initially I thought the system was going completely dead but yesterday when this happened I felt a slight vibration in the corner where the hard drive is suggesting it was getting power. The AC power remains connected the entire time.

I have tried the following with no change.

1. SMC reset
2. Checked Console logs but did not find anything odd. I am not good with those so I might have missed something.
3. Did a PRAM reset a while ago

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.