What brand of HD

Reaction score
Can someone tell me which brand of HD I have n my imac? It just got replaced from the old seagate drive (got an email saying I had one that could fail.) It's real quiet. I went to systom profiler and under model it says ST31000528AS. I think that's another seagate, which doesn't make me happy.

OP
S
Reaction score
Any idea why they'd do that? Why not a Western Digital or A toshiba? The drive is real quiet right now, but the last one I had seemed to get nosier over time -- it would occasionally sound like an automatic drip coffee maker, especially when I was deleting files.

Reaction score
Beats me.

They're pretty much hit or miss. Hopefully yours lasts but at least it's covered under warranty if it doesn't.

OP
S
Reaction score
I hope so too -- but the Warranty is only good for another year. The drive worked fine. When I asked at the store what brand they put in it, I was told they didn't know, which I think is bogus. Have you heard bad things about Seagate drives in the past, I take it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As most come out of the same Thailand factory it is simply a matter of luck., Hitachi, Fujitsu

In twenty years of using a Mac have used Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor, Fujitsu, IBM, Mercury SSD, Kingston SSD and G,Skill Falcon SSD sand, apart from the SSDs, have only ever had two drives fail so they are all pretty reliable..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.