Stolen phone and Imessage

Reaction score
Hello, everyone.

First of all, not sure if I'm posting in the right section, so I apologize if I'm not.

My iPhone 5 was stolen this past Thursday. We were able to briefly find it using my husband's iPhone 5, which we used to lock it and put it in lost mode, until the thief turned it off a couple of minutes later. 'Find my iPhone' has shown it as "offline" since it was turned off the night of the theft. An hour or so after theft, we deactivated that phone on my line (carrier is Verizon). I now have a loaner LG phone activated on my line until we decide what to do.

This morning (Sunday), my husband sent me a text message, which showed up on iMessage on our Mac and not on the cellphone that I'm using. Does this mean that my iPhone is on somewhere?

I understand if you can't help me, but I'm just curious if anyone can enlighten me as to what this means exactly, or if it means anything.

Thanks,
May

OP
M
Reaction score
Bump. Also if this is not in the place where it is likely to get answers, could a mod move it?

Thanks.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
How are your contact details configured on your husband's device?

Your Mac may well respond to both the telephone number of your old phone and an email address (mine does). So if your husband was iMessaging to your email address then the LG phone won't receive that as it's not an iPhone.

ETA: just double checked my MBP and iMessage only responds to iMessages sent to an email address, not the phone number.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, my email address and my phone number were in my husband's contact info for me. I just didn't know if the messages were going to my stolen phone as well as the mac, in which case the thief would be, at the very least, annoyed by them. Sorry, I'm very uninformed as to how most of this stuff works.

Thanks for your answer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.