iPad says not charging

Reaction score
My cousins iPad says "not charging" when plugged in.

I've tried wall outlets, USB on the back of the computer, USB on a hub, and about 8 different cables.

The only time it charged was connecting it via USB to a different Mac other than his. It didn't say "charging" but it slowly started charging over time, NO INDICATION though.

The software is up to date 5.1.1 or whatever.

What is the problem here?

C

chas_m

USB outlets generally do not provide enough power to charge an iPad (or at least to charge it so slowly it would take days to charge up). Most Apple USB ports provide 500milliamps (0.5A), when the iPad needs at least 2.1A (four times as much power) to charge normally.

If you are plugging your iPad into an *iPad certified* wall charger, it should work fine. But if you're using an iPod/iPhone charger, even plugged into the wall it will not charge the iPad very quickly. For best results, use the Apple OEM wall charger that came with your iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Use your Apple OEM charger for the iPad.

Period.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The iPad, or any iOS device for that matter, doesn't specifically indicating that it isn't charging. There is, however, an indication that it IS charging both with the battery gauge showing a lightening bolt on it and a larger lightening bolt on the lock screen.

If the device isn't muted, there is also the audible indication that the device is charging.

So as the others have suggested, use the Apple cable and plug into the wall to charge the iPad in a decent amount of time..

OP
U
Reaction score
Sorry for not responding back.

We got an original iPad charger from a friend and tried a different cable and it worked. It seems the generic apple USB cable can get screwed up inside easily.

I know USB cannot deliver as much power as a wall outlet, although there are USB ports that can charge decently. Both computers were Core 2 Duo's but one of them would not charge the iPad. The other computer could charge it and both ports were USB 2.0.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Those ports are simply not putting out enough wattage to charge an iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.