iPhone doesn't work with iTunes

Reaction score
I just updated my cousins iPhone 3 to ios6 for him and I got a message a long the lines of... "this phone does not work with iTunes because the version is out of date."

His computer is an eMac and the iPhone was detected and working perfectely before I updated it for him.

Looks like the eMac doesn't receive updates anymore. I tried software update and going to update on iTunes but I get nothing.

What options do I have? He can't buy a new computer.

Can I roll back the iPhone version? This stinks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You should have checked the requirements for iOS 6 prior to installing it on his iPhone. His eMac can't get past Leopard because it's a PPC machine so you have no other choice but to roll back iOS unless he wants to buy a new machine. (Which he should do anyway.) Read the following article to learn how to roll back from iOS 6: LINK

OP
U
Reaction score
If I am reading this article right it's already too late.

The phone cannot be detected in iTunes so no backup is possible.

So all I can do is reset the phone? Then all the pictures and music are lost with it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you know anyone with a Windows machine that has iTunes loaded? Or someone with another Mac that has a later version of iTunes loaded? It may be possible to backup the phone before resetting it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.