Installing windows 7 in a virtual machine

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post in the forums.
I recently installed the vmware fusion virtual machine on my mac and now am downloading windows 7. During this process I checked the hard disk space and it has 60GB allocated for this download. Is this too much and should I reduce the space? I am going to be installing AcrGIS 10.0 and want to make sure that I have enough space to run everything efficiently. The reason for this question comes from a thread I read somewhere that if windows takes too much space it could slow down my mac.

Any thoughts?

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Hi,

Not sure what you mean here, but if it's what I think then with a virtual machine, Windows is actually run from a large file on your Mac. This file should only expand as large as your Windows installation, so in Fusion you could actually allocate a smaller space for your virtual hard drive.
I think the problem you mentioned with Windows taking up too much space relates purely to a natively installed version (ie through Bootcamp), rather than a 'caged' version using Fusion.

Hope this helps,

Cheers :)

Hugh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.