Replacement Hard Drive Fan Runnin

Reaction score
I just had the local Apple store replace my hard drive as part of the Seagate hard drive recall/replacement program. Now my fan seems to constantly run and is ridiculously loud. I didn't have this problem with the other (presumably faulty) hard drive. Is this normal? Should I bring it back? Any information is appreciated. Thank you.

Reaction score
n a terminal window type the following:
/Applications/Utilities/smcFanControl.app/Contents/Resources/smc -k F1Mx -w 2af8
For example, this will set the maximum RPM of the HDD fan to 2750.

The -k parameter is the HDD fan for the iMac. The -w writes the value of the RPM which is the hexadecimal representation of 4 times the RPM (i.e, 4 x 2750 = 11000 which is 2af8 in hex representation)

You have to run that line above each time you log in, so you might have to automate it.

SM

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is this normal? Should I bring it back? Any information is appreciated. Thank you.

I would take it back…it's not supposed to do that. Let Apple fix it.

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks. I think I will just bring it back in even though it's a total pain in the ***.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Try shutting the computer down and restarting it before you haul it back down to the apple store. I had my iMac repaired for a loud buzzing noise and they tested the fans. When they turned the computer on, the fans were constantly running full force (very noisy!). The guy at the genius bar just shut the computer down and restarted it and it booted back up normally.

If that doesn't work, then I'd go ahead and take it in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
As others have said, take it back to Apple. I suspect they forgot to plug in either the hard drive or LCD temperature sensor cable.

At work we've been undertaking an additional 4 - 8 1TB hard drive replacements a day as part of the program with no problems, it's straight forward work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.