• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

No Windows on Intel Macs, yet....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Original Story HERE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
FWIW, I'm glad that Apple isn't using a traditional PC BIOS. EFI (Like Open Firmware before it) is so much more flexible. Mac OS has no need of the legacy baggage that a BIOS carries.

And yes, Windows will eventually come to support EFI natively in 32-bit flavors. It wouldn't terribly surprise me if this happened in an updated edition of WinXP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
you could with a hack run windows XP...but i'm sure it will be lengthy to do

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Halleluia for no BIOS. I think I would have cried if Macs had them.

Reaction score
Apple couldn't allow their users to see a BIOS...there is no way they could make it pretty enough, and the user friendly Mac Addicts would be totally lost if they were pulled from their bubble. ;)

Personally I can't wait for the option to dual boot Windows Vista / OS X on a single system.

E

Ex_PC_Puke

I was initially disappointed to here the new Intel Macs would have the capability to run a Microsoft OS ........... after some reflection I am ok with this. If Apple wants to expand its sales and user base it needs to do this - this will ultimatly expose more people to Apple's superior product design - innovation - integration ------ But Apple will need to work doubly hard on keeping and making OS X blow the doors off of anything MS deploys.

Keep in mind there will be a software convergence of sorts in the next few years as it becomes very easy for SW makers to offer both PC and Mac versions of popular applications at the same price - thus allowing people and more importantly businesses migrate to OS X

The linch-pin here is that Apple needs to make OS X as bullet proof as possible (and their core SW apps) because I believe secure systems (self healing) and systems that help protect users from threats (making stupid choices)will prevail on the Wicked-Wide-Web

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
They'll definately hack it. All it will need is a version of xp tweaked to get by that ETI

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Avid6eek said:
Apple couldn't allow their users to see a BIOS...there is no way they could make it pretty enough, and the user friendly Mac Addicts would be totally lost if they were pulled from their bubble. ;)

Personally I can't wait for the option to dual boot Windows Vista / OS X on a single system.
You haven't seen Open Firmware, have you? :mac: It does everything a BIOS does, but it includes its own programming language and command line, so that you can add functionality at runtime. (So does EFI, more or less.) A BIOS looks like a toy comparison.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
So no dual booting until we either have 64 bit, or until Windows supports EFI in 32 bit....

Wonder which one will come first?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.