Mac Pro Hanging when opening Save and Save As dialogue box

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the forum. Thanks for taking a look at this!

My Mac Pro has started hanging (or spinning the rainbow wheel) when opening the save or save as dialogue box from an application. It also hangs when returning back to an application following saving a file. The hang will last anywhere from 5 seconds to a couple of minutes with the length of time increasing the longer my computer has been on. And it is accompanied by the sound of my hard-disk spinning.

Restarting my computer solves the issue but it slowly comes back over a couple hours.

This seems to happen with all applications, but is more pronounced with Adobe's Creative Suite (CS5). But these are the programs I use the most. And it can be particularity bad with Photoshop and Illustrator. But it crops up with Word, Outlook, etc.

Also, my CPU usage doesn't spike during the hang. But the application where the save command has been issued becomes unresponsive. And Permissions and Disk check out fine.

I've looked around a bit but can't find any info that addresses this specifically. Not really sure were to start with this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My system's info is below.

Many Thanks!
Ryan

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K540)
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 7 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B04
SMC Version (system): 1.7f10

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Boot from your Snow Leopard disc and run Repair Disk and see what is reported. If all is well download and use Onyx for cleaning and maintenance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.