How to Import Address book?

Reaction score
I saved my Address Book from a Mac OS X 10.4.11 to my external hardrive. I have been trying to import the address's to a Mac OS X 10.5.8. A note comes up on the latter computer stating I can not use this version of Address book on this computer. How can I recover/import my address book from my external hardrive?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you trying to copy over the actual Address Book application? If so, that's not what you want.

On your backup, go to <your user directory>/Library/Application Support/Address Book and copy everything in that directory to the same directory on your new Mac.

OP
F
Reaction score
Oh my I probably backed up things way wrong..... lucky I do still have my older computer. I don't see a User Directory on my ex-hardrive. I may have things all messed up on this ex-hardrive. Okay should I now start up my old computer Mac OS X 10.4.11 & your user directory>/Library/Application Support/Address Book and copy everything in that directory to my external hardrive & then to the same directory on my newer Mac OS X 10.5.8? Thanks you so much for your input, I spent days backing up what I thought I needed now to only discover there may be other things missing. Thank you, I will have to work on this later, please know I so appreciate your help.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Okay should I now start up my old computer Mac OS X 10.4.11 & your user directory>/Library/Application Support/Address Book and copy everything in that directory to my external hardrive & then to the same directory on my newer Mac OS X 10.5.8?
Yes, do that. This should restore your contacts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.