Sick G5 - need knowledgeable help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Dual2.5Gb
Hi everyone. This is my first time here, so please play gently!

I am still using a rather senior pre-Intel G5 (dual 2.5Gb) in my music studio. It has been very reliable until recently, when it has started to slow down down and get cranky as the day goes on. Today, for example, I started work on a track in Logic around 12.00 and everything was fine, but by 5.00 it was becoming impossibly non-responsive. I couldn't enter basic information, or even re-size screens. I couldn't even stop a track from playing in iTunes once it had started!

This behaviour is becoming depressingly regular and has ruined several sessions over the past couple of weeks. I've tried running disc utilities, but with no improvement.

Does anyone have any bright ideas as to what the problem might be & how to fix it?

All advice very gratefully received.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Read the "Beachballs" and "Speedup" links in my signature. Try some of the ideas there to see if they help. If they don't…it's possible that your hard drive may be slowly dying…and it's time for a new HD.

You can also download the free program "Onyx"…run it's automated routines…and see if that helps. You didn't say what OS version you are running. Download the Onyx version for the OS version you are running:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/downloadold.php

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thread moved to more appropriate sub-forum.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Dual2.5Gb
Hi Nick

Very grateful for your speedy reply. Will check out your tips, though I fear the dying HD feels like the most likely problem!

Cheers

Chris

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Dual2.5Gb
G5 still sick. Looks like a new hard drive

I've tried the tips that Nick kindly suggested, but it looks as though I'm going to need a new hard drive. It's a dual 2.5gb G5 Power PC and I'm based in London UK.

Can anyone recommend a reliable source for a replacement & is it possible to take this opportunity to upgrade?

Chris

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Dual2.5Gb
Thanks for that link: much appreciated!

Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.