Adding Airport Extreme & Express to Existing Comcast Cable Network

Reaction score
Hello All,

Long time reader of the forums here, first time poster.

I just moved into a new house and I am looking to use an airport extreme base station and/or and airport express to extend my existing Comcast Cable Modem.

Equipment:
Voice & Data Modem SMC Networks smcd3gnv (I believe this is part of comcasts gateway line)
Airport Extreme Base Station Model A1354
Airport Express Model A1084 (I believe this is my model, don't have it on me as i'm posting, it's a type that plugs directly into an outlet)
Macbook Pro (snow leopard)
Wife's PC (not sure, POS)

Our new home is 3 levels, currently the comcast modem is on the main level, I have an alright signal in the basement, but since I already own the airprot products, I want to use them.

The question is how do I do this? I've read numerous forums regarding this, but I don't have the confidence to do it yet, I don't want to cause a problem and need to call comcast.

Given my equipment, can I extend my wireless network and if so, how should I do it?

Thanks all

Drew

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I have the regular cable modem from Comcast in my basement, I have the Airport Extreme connected to that and creating my wireless network. I then have a Airport Express sitting on the first floor that is extending this network so that I now get full bars up on the 2nd floor in all corners..

The setup is trivial. Once you have your Airport Extreme setup with your Comcast cable modem, fire up Airport Utility and create the wireless network on the Extreme. Then point Airport Utility to the express and there is an option to extend a network as opposed to create a new one. Choose that, enter your password for the wireless network and Airport Utility will configure the Express as an extender and it will indicate that on the map..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.