Change software permissions/updates from one icloud account to another???

Reaction score
In a nutshell...I bought a used imac from a friend. It has a bunch of software programs like Office, Adobe etc. on it...which is one of the reasons I bought it from him. Problem is, apps like iphoto are telling me there are updates to install, but when I go to install them, it says I need to sign in with HIS icloud account name in order to do the updates. His wife doesn;t want him giving me the password to do so because apparently her credit card info. etc is stored on there. So...

Is there a way I can still receive the needed updates for the programs that are on there without having to log in to his account? Is there anything he can do that would allow me to do that, aside from giving me his password to simply get the updates?

I'm a mac newbie, so technical terms will be lost. I would need the answer in layman's terms. Any advice on how to handle this is appreciated. But please don't simply recommend wiping the system and reinstalling the programs myself. I already know that's an option, but I am trying to save some money, of course, not having to do that. Thanks in advance!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
In layman's terms... no.

Apps purchased through the App Store are registered to the user ID.
The OS can be transferred, but that would occur by doing what you wish us to not recommend.
The ownership of the iLife suite that comes with new Macs can also be transferred, but it's a pitb at the moment.
Apple has not figured out how to make selling a machine and have the original software go with it quite yet.

Any apps not purchased through the app store, perhaps Office & Adobe, ownership would be transferred according to their individual policies.

More of what you really don't want to hear... He would have to give you the original discs and uninstall all copies of the software from his machines. If he keeps the discs &/or continues using the software on his new/old/whatever machine and sells you a machine with those apps on it, you are essentially running pirated software. And if you paid a premium for the use of any of those apps, you paid him for illegal software.

OP
K
Reaction score
Well that's just dandy!!!!! I appreciate the response. Let me know if you think this would work...

He did not offer to do this, and assuming he uses this account on other computers, it's doubtful he would but....
If he deleted his credit card info from his account so that there would be no risk of me obtaining it, and then he opened a new icloud account for himself and added his credit card to that account, could he then give me the password to his old account (the one currently in charge of the apps on my mac) so that I could log in to that and use that address as my own, simply for the sake of updating the apps?

Then I would still run itunes and any future purchases of apps etc through my own icloud account

This may be a fruitless possibility, but I figured I would ask.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The bottom line is that as long as you log into the App Store using his account, you can update apps that were purchased with that account. How you get access to the account is for you to resolve with him (and his wife it seems :) )..

So if you DO get access to the account and he's willing to purchase other applications beyond what you care about again on the new iCloud account, you're back in business..

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And my guess would be that all of his and his wife's apps, along with any purchased music, movies, TV shows, etc. are all tied to that Apple ID... as well as possibly email accounts.

OP
K
Reaction score
Yeah, I am going to try and figure it out by talking with him about it. The thing is, when I got it from him, he mentioned something about how at work, they primarily use Windows and he was going to stick with Windows at home. As such, I don't even know if he needs to use icloud anymore for the purchase and use of apps etc. if he is only going to be using a pc. That's why i figured I would check with him to see if that's the case. That would make sense, right? (or maybe I am completely off base)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Well as Bobtomay said, the iCloud account is not just for the apps. So if he were to return to a purely Windows environment, the apps might be in the picture, but any movies/music that he's purchasing for iPods/iPhones/iPads are still going to be in the picture..

OP
K
Reaction score
Got it. That makes sense. And I know he does have an iphone, so that leaves me SOL in that regard I suppose. Well thanks for the insight! Looks like I am going to have to delete those apps and purchase them through my own account

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.