"file record has hard link chain flag"

Reaction score
Help...

My Macbbok Pro 17" Mid 2011 with Mountain Lion boots only to the Restore Partition and the C drive only shows up in Disk Tools.

Repai on the drive returns "The partition map appears to be ok"

Running the verify and repair on the C partition returns a whole pile of "file record has hard link chain flag" etc etc.

I, of course, have many valuable photos on the partition and would love to get my photos and music if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Shivan... on tour in Thailand...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about providing us with some more info? I'm assuming your MBP is running Windows from a Boot Camp partition?

If the errors are on the C drive in your Boot Camp partition, you can not use the Recovery partition verify and repair tools to fix them. You have to use "chkdsk" from a command prompt in Windows.

Open a command prompt in Windows (cmd.exe) and type the following:

chkdsk c: \f You'll receive a message back that it will run chkdsk on the next boot. Windows will then reboot and a blue screen should appear with chkdsk running. Allow it to repair the errors if possible. After it finishes, it will boot into Windows.

OP
S
Reaction score
WIndows on my Macbook Pro??? Never. Bootcamp? Hardly.... jioking... by C drive i meant my MAC HD

Just a MBP 17, 1.5 years old...

My Macbook HD volume seems to be completely screwed up and disk repair can't fix it....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You sure had us fooled by referring to your hard drive as c drive. Anyway, it sounds like you need a new hard drive. Is your MBP covered by Apple care?

OP
S
Reaction score
You sure had us fooled by referring to your hard drive as c drive. Anyway, it sounds like you need a new hard drive. Is your MBP covered by Apple care?

Thge drive seems to be working fine...the Restore partition works fin I think the volume is corrupted I am downloading a reinstall of Mountain Lion on my external... fingers crossed...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.