Question about time capsule with time machine....

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am planning to buy time capsule and want to use it with time machine however I would like to know how this system actually works for backups.

Does time machine create a package of files I have configured to backup, meaning on time capsule there will be a backup file you basically cannot use until you restore or encrypt it?

Or does it work so that it just backs up the files and folders I want and stores them as they are on time capsule?

I would actually like to have a system that works as the second option I described above. Is that possible with time machine and time capsule or not?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
Time Machine creates application specific files. If you want to make image files, I would recomend something like Super Duper. It make an image that can be mounted and browsed. Hope disk helps.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for your answer.

I was afraid of that and will look into it.

Regards,
tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Time Machine does make a file called sparse.bundle which you have to access with the Time Machine software. So the answer to question is twofold, one it does make its own package file as a backup. Secondly though, You can access the backed up files through time machine without having to restore.
Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

There is a piece of Software that I got with a bundle called back in time which works in conjunction with time machine - if you need more options.
Back-In-Time (from TED)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Time Machine does make a file called sparse.bundle which you have to access with the Time Machine software.

Time Machine does use a sparsebundle file to store backups on a Time Capsule. You do not however need special software to access it. You can double click the sparse bundle and it will open in a Finder window just like any other hard drive or partition. It is easier to read the files from the Time Machine program but not necessary.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.