Original Rollercoaster Tycoon on OSX 10.7 ?

Reaction score
hey all,

new to the forum here. let me give you some info on me. i love my mac, had it for a year or so, my brother and uncle both have and love them as well.

anyways, I'm not so great with technical things on my mac. ex: downloading programs to get other things to work, etc.

my question is this: I want to run the ORIGINAL roller coaster tycoon or the second edition would be fine. I've heard of steam, wineskin, etc. but i don't know how those work or anything. can you guys point me in the direction i need to go?

thanks guys, any opinions will be appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know if the original or second edition will run on Lion, however, edition 3 being sold by Amazon should run OK. Take a look here.

OP
G
Reaction score
thanks for that, thats the first place I've even seen that for sale in the US.

but if anyone knows any way to play the original via wineskin or something else, please let me know.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The original was released in 1999, six years before Apple even announced the transition to Apple processors. As such, I'm willing to make a bet (any takers?) that it's a PPC only app. As such, it won't run natively on any Mac released since about 2006. The second version is likely subject to the same constraints since it was released in 2002.

Just a note - RCT3 does not work on Lion. The Amazon page notes this in the "product features" section although I can certainly see why one would miss it (they really need to make that a little more obvious).

bobtomay's solution will work if you have the Windows version. Do you have any copy with you already?

OP
G
Reaction score
i may still have the original windows copy at my house. I'm not positive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.