Can't drag to external hard drive anymore

Reaction score
Hi, please help!

I have a Seagate external hard drive and can no longer drag or even copy and paste into it. I use this to back up files from my macbook and haven't done it in a while, so I need to figure out what's wrong. Please help!

C

chas_m

Has anything changed with the drive since you last used it with your Mac (for example, using it with a Windows machine)? How long ago is "in a while?"

You can find out how the disk is formatted using Disk Utility, which is in your Applications folder under Utilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
You can find out how the disk is formatted using Disk Utility, which is in your Applications folder under Utilities.
Or by Right/Ctrl clicking on it's icon, and then on Get Info.

OP
A
Reaction score
When clicking on the "Seagate Desktop Media" tab, there is no format listed. Underneath that option there is "Expansion Drive" and the format of that is Windows NT File System (NTFS). I believe the last time I used the external hard drive was on a Windows, and I guess thats where my problem is. How do I format it so that I can use it on my Mac, and will I lose any files? Thanks so much!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.