My Compact Flash Card Reader won't mount anymore

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac, 2.5 GHz Interl Core i5, 4GB RAM, Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks 2, Crossfire ext HDD.
Hi

My USB CF (Compact Flash) Card reader is not mounting on my 2.5 GHZ Intel Core i5 iMac anymore.

Last week it worked fine to get pictures from my camera but now it won't mount at all.
I ejected it in the correct way rather than just disconnecting it but now i cannot get it to remount!
I cannot even see it in the disk utility or system profiler.

I have tried another card reader (a brand new one bought today) and the same problem exists. I've also tried different cards to see if that made a difference and they still arent being picked up on the Mac.

I have done all the usual things like rebooting, unplugging all other USB devices and then trying but nothing has worked.

I'm a photographer and I'm at my wits end here. I know the cards are fine as i have been using them without issue and they are also new.

Note: If I plug the camera in directly to the Mac, the Mac picks it up just fine as it always has done. Its just the card readers that it wont pick up anymore.

If anyone has any ideas at all other than the following (my so called friends advice) you'd earn my undying love:

Buy a PC
Use the camera (Thats why i bought the reader in the first place - importing RAW files from the camera is SLOW!)
Replace your CF cards (I have three 8GB cards two of which i had never used til today and they dont work either!)
Buy a new card reader (this is the 5th one in two days - none work on the Mac)

Many thanks in advance!

LIsa

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac, 2.5 GHz Interl Core i5, 4GB RAM, Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks 2, Crossfire ext HDD.
Seriously does nobody know? There have been LOTS of views on this and no one seems to know. Even on the Apple forums all they suggested was a multiple PRAM and SMC reset and this didn't work either.

I am at my wits end here and don't know what to do other than junk the Mac and get something else. Its making me that annoyed now!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
An SMC reset should have cured it. But since it obviously didn't, the only thing I can suggest is to contact Apple and have them look at it. Your iMac is a late model and may still be covered by Apple care. Is it?

Have you recently installed any new software or updated something that could possibly interfere with mounting the CF card reader? If other USB devices are being picked up correctly by the iMac, it may be software related.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.