Windows 8 install error, stuck in a loop

Reaction score
Hello, I had windows 7 dual booted on my macbook pro, tried to then upgrade to windows 8, anyway after installing windows 8 I get to a screen where I can either tell it to proceed with loading windows 8 or the second option is I click a button and it rolls back to windows 7. I was getting an error like "windows restarted unexpectedly" after seeing the blue windows 8 logo, so my comp restarts. The windows 7 rollback worked the first time. Then I tried using the same disc to upgrade to windows 8 again.

Got the same error, except this time the rollback function doesnt work. My computer just restarts. So does anyone know how I can get the rollback function to work again? I want to avoid having to redo my windows partition. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since Windows 8 is not officially supported by Apple (Boot Camp Assistant) you're on your own with this one. You likely overwrote the Windows 7 MBR with the two attempts to install Windows 8.

Upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 8 is supported on a PC that's running Windows 7, but you're running it on a Mac which uses EFI not a BIOS. So there's no way to tell if the MBR is good or not, but I suspect you overwrote it and will likely have to reinstall.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.