My Macbook Pro boots to a blue/grey screen then shuts off... HELP?

Reaction score
I'm running a mid-2009 Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard.
It had been running fine until a few days ago until it randomly started running extremely slow. A friend of mine suggested to hold Command + S while booting up, then running /sbin/fsck -fy to repair the disk; however, it would never repair regardless of how many times I've tried. Now when I go to boot up, it goes to the blue/grey screen with the Apple logo and then shuts down. I don't have the OS disk, nor does my disk drive work.
Is there a way to fix this, or is it doomed forever?
Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to get hold of a Snow Leopard disk. Give Apple customer service a call and have them send you a Snow Leopard retail disk. It will cost $29.99 plus some sales tax and shipping. After you receive the disk, change out your defective hard drive and re-load Snow Leopard. If you have not been making backups, you may have lost all your data and apps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.