Monitor issue with MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I'm unable to run the laptop with a Viewsonic VG2732m-LED monitor in 1080p without the screen flicker in and out. For the past two weeks I've been to the genius bar and on phone support with Apple. When I finally go a hold of a Senior Tech, they told me to contact Viewsonic. When I contacted Viewsonic for support, they told me to contact Apple.
Vicious cycle.

The laptop and monitor seemed to work fine when I installed the original OS 10.7 in 1080p mode. We wanted to update the laptop so we went ahead and upgraded to 10.8, the issue started happening again. I'm assuming the original issue started with 10.7 when we updated it to 10.7.5.

The laptop and monitor work fine in 720p mode, but we can't seem to get it to remain stabile in anything higher.

Has anyone run into this or have any suggestions?

New Frustrated Mac User

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
How are you connecting to it? DVI? VGA? Have you checked in the System preferences on the laptop to make sure it autodetected the correct frequency? Have you tried connecting to another monitor or at least a TV? Have you tried a different adapter to go from the either mini-display or thunderbolt port to DVI?

OP
B
Reaction score
Update on Issue

How are you connecting to it? DVI? VGA? Have you checked in the System preferences on the laptop to make sure it autodetected the correct frequency? Have you tried connecting to another monitor or at least a TV? Have you tried a different adapter to go from the either mini-display or thunderbolt port to DVI?

I did leave something out didn't I?
Currently the issue only happens from the Monitor Display port going into the Mini Display connection. I've I run it from HDMI through a Diamond adapter to USB, the 1080p mode works fine. We have someone who brought in their MacBook with the same setup and it worked fine.

I thought at first the OS was the issue, but I would think the new version, 10.8.2 would fix the issue too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does the cable feel loose in any way? If you shift the cable does the flickering get worse/better? What version OSX is on that other Macbook (if it's the same version of OSX, I doubt it's an OS related issue unless the two laptops have different video card models with corresponding different drivers)? If your laptop has bootcamp, have you tried to boot into the alternate OS and see if the problem persists? Have you tried shifting the connectors a bit to see if there is a poor connection?

OP
B
Reaction score
The cable is not loose in anyway and when I shake it, it doesn't cause the flickering to get worse. The other MacBook was running 10.8 which is now what this one is running. It's odd that on 10.7 (not 10.7.5) that I didn't have the issue. We've removed the files a couple of times to see if the preferences would get rebuilt and help the issue - it didn't. It only has this issue on 1080p with the latest OS's. I can run it in 720p mode just fine, but I would like to think this Mac can handle 1080p.
Mac Book Pro 13-inch late 2011 2.8ghz Intel Core i7 Intel HD Graphics 3000 512mb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's got to be something going on with that Mac, if both the functional Mac and the problematic Mac were both on 10.8, unless they both used different GPU's, there's something not right with the one that isn't working. If you've got another HD, I'd say try to do a clean install on a separate hard drive with 10.8 (or even 10.7 pre .5) to see if it really is software or hardware based.

It should handle 1080p without any problems. I hook up my MBA that's a 1.8GHz i7 to my thunderbolt display which is 2560x1440 and it has no problems driving it, so I know if it can do it, your faster MBP with more shared graphics memory should have no problems with a 1080p display.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.