Thunderbird preferences font setting not working

Reaction score
I'm trying to use Thunderbird 16.0.2 under OS X, but the default font is too small for me to read easily.

I tried changing the font through the Preferences dialog (Preferences / Display / Formatting, Default Font and Size), but it has no effect. I've tried everything short of rebooting. When I reopen the Preferences dialog my changes are shown, but the display itself never changes.

What's wrong, and how can I fix it?

Reaction score
Have you tried hitting command + at the same time? That usually will change any font for me.

Cheers

OP
O
Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly what you mean. "Option +" could mean "Option + Shift + the += key" or it could mean "Option + something-that-didn't-make-it-into-the-post." Also, it's not clear when I'm supposed to press the keys: after I've made the change and before I close the dialog?

I tried a few likely seeming combinations but they didn't do it for me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Press and hold the Command key and then press the plus key (+). That will make the font larger in Thunderbird. Also, there are different settings in Thunderbird for the fonts. It depends.... Preferences, Display and Composition have separate settings for font size. You need to set them both and then restart Thunderbird.

OP
O
Reaction score
I'm afraid this still doesn't make sense to me. I suspect you're omitting something that's obvious to you but unknown to me, because I'm new to the Mac.

You clarified that by "Command +" you meant pressing the Command key and the '+' key. (I said "Option" in my last message, but I did mean Command.) I tried that (I tried it again just now to be sure) and it doesn't do anything except make the "View" menu bar entry flash. I tried it with and without Shift; there was no difference.

I did set Preferences > Display; that's the setting that I said, in my previous post, made no difference. It seemed preposterous that Preferences > Composition might control the size of the font for display, but since nothing else worked, I tried it to see if it did. It didn't.

The pairing of Display and Composition in the Preferences dialog makes me wonder if both of these options affect only the text in messages. If so, I'm looking for something else; my problem is mainly with the message lists in the mailbox displays.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, I don't know what else to tell you... I can open Thunderbird and view a news article or email at normal size setting or press the command key and then the plus key to make the view larger. I also have my settings setup for a 14 point font both in display and composition and it works quite well.

OP
O
Reaction score
Then my guess was right -- we were talking about different things.

To make sure this is clear: I am asking how to change the font size that Thunderbird uses for everything except display and composition of messages. In particular, I'm asking about the pane that lists the contents of mailboxes.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In particular, I'm asking about the pane that lists the contents of mailboxes.

OK, sorry about the misunderstanding then. As far as I'm aware, there's no way to change that - and I use T-Bird both on my Mac and PCs.

Also take note that Mozilla is abandoning any further development of Thunderbird and is instead focusing on Firefox and other supported items. Unless there is a third party fix for what you're asking, I don't know of a way to change the menu font size.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.