Location Services locates me in China!

Reaction score
My iPod location service locates me in China, which makes the weather forecast a bit wrong for Eastern Ohio ;-) ( iOS 5.1.1 ) It works okay in the city but when I am in the country where the only wifi is in my house on the farm, it defaults to a remote place in China. Maybe that's where it was born and it wants to go back home?

I know I can turn it off, but then some applications refuse to run. Is there any way to set the default location in Location Services?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Using just the WiFi for location tracking means it's done based on crowd sourced information. That is, they get a bunch of people reporting their location based on IP address and so on and track you down. If you are in a remote area with little crowd information, then the location tracking is entirely unreliable and will just show you random places..

Though, it's odd that even with just your IP address, it should at least put in the state of Ohio and not locate you in China..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.