• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New iTunes version spyware?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'm not sure that I would classify an App "phoning home" as Spyware. If we did, M$ would be in big trouble. It is a bit troubling though. The article aslo doesn't make it clear if this only happens for iTunes purchased DRM'd music, or if it's everything you listen to, no matter where you got it from.

Several of the updates at the end of the article tell you how this can be turned off etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I don't think its spyware. Its pretty easy for iTunes to get the artist name when you play the song since they are tagged, and to load up the mini store for that artist wouldn't require sending information to apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
There are a lot of programs that phone home. Which is why i have little snitch. Itunes phones home its current version and no one complains, it also phones everytime you search something in the music store. "how else would it know what song Im searching for". You have a itunes store account to buy songs, well there is a list of every song uve ever purchased attached to that account. Google keeps records of everything you search.

The person who wrote that article sounds like they have a 6th grade education and seem very computer illiterate. Reminds me of a norther michigan militia group.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.