Java and Pogo

Reaction score
Hello All,

We are running a pair of Macs. Her's is a 2012, intel dual core, iMac running osx 10.7.5 and mine is the same machine but running 10.8.2 osx.

All was well until a couple of days ago when an osx update came through. Since then I have nothing but complaints from the other side of the room that her Pogo online games that require Java won't work.

I checked in her add on's file and Java is there and activated.

Then I checked my machine, and the same thing. Java is listed in plug ins and listed as activated, but Java doesn't work.

Any help would be appreciated since I really don't want to sell a virtually brand new machine at a loss and She won't tolerate not being able to play those games for more than another day or so. (We all have our vices)

Cheers

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I checked in her add on's file and Java is there and activated.
Where is this?

Note: Chrome doesn't work with the Oracle provided Java so if you're relying on that, you'll need to switch browsers.

In a recent update, Apple disabled its own build of Java, forcing users to download and install Oracle's. This just came down the "update pipe" so it's entirely possible that it was removed (at least for ML).

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks vansmith ... I looked in firefox/tools/add on's/plugins.

I did do some searching and read about Apple discontinuing their Java support, but I also read that Oracle Java was fraught with security danger.

Since I am a relative Apple newbie, I have no idea what is right.

We use Firefox as a browser, but I am open to other suggestions (not Chrome).

Cheers

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Java as a whole is fraught with security issues. Oracle is better at providing patches than Apple was so, if you need it, you're better using Oracle's build.

Download the Oracle build, install that, restart Firefox and try again.

OP
O
Reaction score
THANK YOU ....

Vansmith, I followed those directions and now all is peace and harmony on that side of the room.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.