not all folders on 2012 MBP showing up in target mode using host 2007 MB

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm having some trouble recovering documents, music, movies etc from a failed hard disk using an older mac

I've been out of the country for 3 months without my MBP and when I came home, it wouldn't boot - grey flashing folder with a ? question mark (no strange sounds etc). Called Apple, went through initial stages of disk repair where it arrived at "invalid node structure" and so the repair didn't go ahead. Did some reading and the prognosis didn't sound good. The Apple tech guy was about to launch into doing a fresh install when I told him I probably want to recover as much data as I can, given my last backup was about 6 months ago (shame on me).

Anyway rather than take it somewhere and pay through the nose for data recovery, I went and purchased a firewire cable to attach to my early 2007 MB. So I connected them up, ran the MBP in target disk mode and there it was - the MBP disk shows up!

HOWEVER, I'm not able to find the items I actually want to backup mentioned above. I understand that these should be in the "users" folder although I can't find this anywhere, including with a search. The only folders in the root directory are "applications", "home" (empty), "library" and "net" (empty)

I've tried migration assistant but the MB doesn't seem to recognise the MBP and I understand this doesn't work shifting files from new versions of osx to old (but heard minor version differences should still allow this, they're both on snow leopard).

I've also tried using a demo data recovery program (virtuallab data recovery) just to scan. It shows basically the same as finder does (albeit with some extra folders - not the ones I'm after) but still no sign of the "users" folder.

Am I doing something wrong? Any ideas would be appreciated!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.