• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

17" PowerBook or 15.4" MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 17", 1.67GHz, 2GB RAM, 120 GB HDD. Ipod 20GB
Hello all,

I have just placed an order for one the new 15.4" MacBook Pro cos I have been waiting a few months for the new macs to come out. Ideally I would have wanted the 17" Powerbook as a desktop replacement with the added functionality of carting it around if needs be. That aside, I have just seen the new products and there isn't a 17" equivalence to the PowerBook so i ordered the MacBook Pro, do y'all think its necessary to get the new MacBook Pro or get the 17" powerBook? It doesn't bother me that the Powerbook hasn't got iSight and a remote.

Secondly, since the new mac are about 3x faster, do y'all think this is a noticeable difference when playing games and opening apps.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
Welcome to MF

if you have already ordered, could our comments change the fact that you have gone with the choice that you have?

I dont think anybody can tell you what the differences will actually be in terms of performance as nobody has used them. The 17" pb is an excellent piece of kit and nobody knows yet of they will bring a 17" version Mac Book Pro just as we don't know if they will look to replace the 12" verion with an equiv.

Your descision should be based upon whether the machine can do the job you need it too and not because the model is the newest

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 17", 1.67GHz, 2GB RAM, 120 GB HDD. Ipod 20GB
Thanks bro for your info. I think i will change my order and get the 17" book. They are indeed awesome.

L

livebig

Everett said:
Thanks bro for your info. I think i will change my order and get the 17" book. They are indeed awesome.

If you were buying used, I would say that its no problem, but as far as I remember, the old powebook costs almost the same as the new mac book. I say that the new powerbook will last you longer, as PowerPC applications will start to get faded out. And it is much more powerful.... The Powerbook G4 technology, although great, is still about 3 years outdated.

Would you buy 2002 Car for the same price as a 2006 Car?
even if both were brand new.

Reaction score
I say that the new powerbook will last you longer, as PowerPC applications will start to get faded out.
Mac will be supported longer than he'll have the new 17in PB.. What do you think everyone is going to go out and buy one?? With that said, the new Macpro is 15.4 in, that isn't that much difference.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.