Can't print to Windows Print Server from OS X 10.7

Reaction score
Hey guys. This problem has been plaguing me for weeks. No matter what I try I cannot get our 10.7 Macs to print to two of our printers connected via Windows print servers in the office. The print servers are set up to allow computers to connect using the IP. On the Windows computers this is easy, you simply set the Printer up as an IP printer, enter the IP, select the software, and it works. But with the Macs it isn't so easy. I've tried multiple ways, and I've gotten it to (seemingly) recognize the printer using the correct drivers. But it either simply doesn't print or goes goes to hold as soon as I try to print.

Both printers are Epson Workforce 1100's, each with their own print server. I can print to other printers in the office and I know the Macs are on our Domain. It's just these older print servers that the Macs don't like. One of the print servers is a Trendnet Te100-MP1UN and the other is a Netgear PS121. Both connect to the printer using USB and then have ethernet going out to a router, which connects to our office network.

So is there anything I can try to get this to work? Or should I tell my boss it's not possible and we have to buy new print servers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
As far as I know, those are just regular print servers - using standard comm protocols.
Read the manual and set up OS X to match the protocol it specifies.

For the PS121:
On the Mac, select IP printer > LPR > enter IP address and enter queue name P1.

For the trendnet, you may need to use a browser to look at the settings to see what queue name to use. Use LPD(LPR) for protocol.

OP
N
Reaction score
As far as I know, those are just regular print servers - using standard comm protocols.
Read the manual and set up OS X to match the protocol it specifies.

For the PS121:
On the Mac, select IP printer > LPR > enter IP address and enter queue name P1.

For the trendnet, you may need to use a browser to look at the settings to see what queue name to use. Use LPD(LPR) for protocol.

I tried that but nothing prints. When I bring up the Epson Print Utility it says "Communication Error".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Epson Print Utility? I believe that's only for direct USB connection.
And that reminds me - you are using the "Gutenprint" driver, right? For Epson printers with only a USB connection (no built-in ethernet or WiFi), the Epson driver is a USB-only driver.

Reaction score
For printers, it is best using the CUPS web interface rather than the standard Mac OS X Printer utilities.
Load up Safari and browse to http://localhost:631 which will give you more control over setting a printer driver and use LPR/LPD protocols to connect to Windows print server.

OP
N
Reaction score
I got it to work using CUPS and the Gutenprint drivers. But whenever I try to print more than one page, the printer starts printing gibberish. It's a bunch of random characters and numbers.
Is there a spooling setting somewhere or something I'm missing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Since I don't have that particular printer, I can't tell exactly what setting to use.
But use CUPS again and go to Administration > Manage Printers > click on queue name of printer > Administration pull-down "Set Default Options."
Is there anything helpful there?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.