iBook Power Options

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the different power options in OS X Tiger on the iBook G4 do please?

There are the following options:

Performance
Reduced
etc etc

I've noticed my iBook gets quite warm, and as far as I'm aware it's on the default setting. I read elsewhere that changing it to "reduced" will help with that, but will that reduce the performance of the laptop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Performance: Does not set a cap on the processor's limit, screen brightness all the way up, hard drive does not sleep until told.

Reduced: Sets a ~75% cap on the processor, screen brightness reduced, hard drives sleep every 5 minutes or so (if not in use).

Battery Saver: Sets a ~50% cap on the processor, screen brightness on 3 clicks, screen turns off every 3 minutes, hard drives sleep annoyingly too often, the computer will sleep in 5 minutes.

*These are just estimates, and from what I've noticed using the SysStat widget (i.e. my processor will never get over 50% when BatterySaver is on.)*

Yes, "Reduced" will increase your battery life by ~15%, and probably reduce the heat dissipation, but yes, performance will suffer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
edit- I have been beaten to to info... :spook: feel free to delete this post please :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.