Restoration of MB with liquid damage

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a question I'm hoping one of you knows the answer to. I recently acquired a Macbook Unibody Model A1278, one of the older Macbooks with the removable battery and hard drive, with enough liquid damage to render it useless.

I recently took it apart and carefully and thoroughly cleaned up inside, and amazingly it has successfully turned on, but only to a certain point.

Upon pressing the power button, the screen lights up and the optical drive boots up. However thats as far as I get, a blank white screen, no apple logo and no tone. I've tried multiple key combinations with absolutely no success or change in the process. I've attempted to boot from the install disks, which the optical drive did pull in, but I am now unable to remove it. I also attempted to boot from an external harddrive, with success.

I'm hoping someone has an idea for me to try to be able to boot this machine It's possible that the keyboard has not been hooked back in correctly, so is there some sort of hardware test I can run on it from another computer to determine if I need to open it back up?

I do understand the risks of taking apart an apple product and what could go wrong, and that I may never be able to fully boot this computer, but I'm hoping someone has a suggestion for me.

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.