advice needed - moving Lion osx 10.7.5 from my Mac Pro to MacbookPro

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm trying to find out how to update my macbookpro (currently on Tiger - 10.4.11) by using the Lion 10.7.5 currently running on my Mac Pro.
The laptop specs are:

Model Name: MacBook Pro 15" (late 2006 model)
Model Identifier: MacBookPro2,2
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.33 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP22.00A5.B07
SMC Version: 1.12f5

The mac pro specs are:
Processor 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory 3 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5

I vaguely remember using my old G5 with a cable to get all my software onto the laptop when I first bought it, but the passing of time has buried how I did it in my brain :-S
In an ideal world I would like to strip the laptop back to factory settings (but do I need to? and how do I do it?) to get rid of any junk hanging around and make more use of the limited memory - of course I'll back up all my docs etc first onto an external drive.
Once its factory reset, then move the software AND the osx Lion over the laptop (or just the osx Lion) - but cant remember how....... Could I maybe use the install disk I probably got with my mac pro about a year ago instead? I can always get the other programmes on using the disks if needs be.
All advice and instructions gratefully received! :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can't legally do it that way. You need to install Snow Leopard first on your MBP and then access the Mac App store and download Lion.

You'll have to call Apple customer service in your country and have them send you a Snow Leopard DVD. ($29.99 US) Once you have upgraded the MBP to Snow Leopard you'll then be able to re-download (using your Apple ID) Lion and install it.

Also, you might want to think about maxing out your MBP with memory as 2 GB is not really enough to run Lion.

OP
P
Reaction score
Aaaah - right - thanks for that chscag - I'm no law breaker or risk taker!
So I need to get snow leopard from apple UK on it first, ok, thanks. Should I do a factory reset before I install Snow Leopard? What do you think? Or just follow the instruction on the SL DVD? Will it just overwrite everything anyway? Never upgraded an OS before, total newbie :-S
I did wonder if it was worth a punt on some more memory, I hear crucial memory are meant to be good, not sure how much I can actually bump it up to though - don't suppose you know how I could find it out? Thanks for taking the time to reply chscag, its very much appreciated! :):)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You should be able to install Snow Leopard over Tiger without having to erase the drive first. Snow Leopard does an upgrade without destroying data and will retain your apps and settings.

According to Mactracker, your MBP can recognize and use 3 GB of memory but it's recommended to install 2 x 2 GB modules. Crucial will have the memory in stock but it will be a bit more expensive since those modules are no longer popular.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.